All Licences

Marriage Licence Help for getting Married at Elope Niagara

Included in your booking with us at our little log chapel is personalized service –  we arrange to have the officiant contact you directly to answer any of your questions or concerns in regards to the legalities and paperwork required.  Below are links to major Ontario Cities where you can find information particular to your area. Basic information about Marriage Licences in Ontario follows the links.

Don’t see your town here? There is a bigger list at the bottom of the page!

General guidelines for obtaining a marriage licence in Ontario

Applicants must be 18 years of age or over to obtain a Marriage License. Applicants who are 16 or 17 years of age must have both parents’ consent (or parent with custody of a minor). No person under the age of 16 years of age may be married.

Identification Required
Two pieces of ORIGINAL identification are required.

One piece MUST be:

  • birth certificate
  • any change of name
  • current passport
  • record of immigrant landing
  • Canadian citizenship card or
  • adoption papers

Second piece must be photo identification such as:

  • drivers license
  • health card
  • passport if not used as first piece of identification

Both parents must complete and sign an Application Form, however if both parents are no able to apply in person for the Marriage License one person may apply, but must bring in the completed application form signed by both parties along with two pieces of identification as specified above.

Divorce or Annulment
If an applicant has been granted a divorce or annulment in Canada, the applicant is to file with the issuer the original or a court certified copy of their final divorce papers (certificate of divorce or decree absolute). If an applicant has been granted a divorce or an annulment in a jurisdiction other than Canada the applicant should speak to an Issuer of Marriage Licenses to receive additional requirements.

Period during which license is valid
A marriage license is valid anywhere in Ontario for a period of 90 days from the date of issuance.

Additional Information
If any person whose consent is required is unavailable or refuses to consent, an application may be made to a judge, in Canada, to dispense with consent.

A person whose previous marriage has been dissolved or annulled will require:

  • If the marriage was dissolved or annulled in Canada, the original court-certified copy of the final decree dissolving or annulling the marrage; or
  • If the marriage was dissolved or annulled in a jurisdiction other than Canada, the applicants must obtain authorization from the Minister of Consumer and Commercial Relations before a marriage license may be issued. To obtain this authorization, the applicants or a lawyer representing them, must submit the following to:
    The Office Of The Registrar General
    P.O. Box 4600, 189 Red River Road
    Thunder Bay, Ontario P7B 6L8
  • A completed marriage license application signed by both applicants
  • A copy of th decree of divorce or annulment certified by the proper court officer in the jurisdiction the divorce/annulment was granted; or sealed by the court. If the decree is in a language other than English or French, include a certified translation.
  • A statement of sole responsibility for each divorce signed by both applicants. Blank affidavits are available from the issuer of Marriage Licenses.
  • A legal opinion of an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both applicants, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in the Province of Ontario.

Who may perform a marriage ceremony
A marriage ceremony in Ontario may be performed by:

  • A minister or member of the clergy registered under the Marriage Act
  • A judge or justice of the peace

Civil Ceremony
There are no ceremonies at City Hall in Niagara Falls.


Here is a complete list of Ontario and Buffalo locations.

If you are looking for elopement packages for the top rated and best elopement experience anywhere, click on one of these links for information about getting your civil wedding licince