Ottawa Licences

Apply for an Ontario Marriage Licence in Ottawa, Ontario

and get married at Elope Niagara!

 Run Away To Niagara

How do I apply for a Marriage Licence in Ottawa

Before you can get married in Ontario you must have a marriage licence. If you and your partner meet the criteria, visit the nearest Client Service Centre to obtain your marriage licence.

Office hours

Marriage licence application forms may be downloaded from the Ministry of Government Services Web site, or picked-up in person at any Client Service Centre.

Marriage licenses are issued Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm at:

Ottawa City Hall, 110 Laurier Avenue West, Ottawa, ON K1P 1J1

Marriage licenses are issued Monday through Friday from 8:30 am until 4 pm, unless otherwise stated, at the following Client Service Centres:

Orléans, 255 Centrum Blvd., Orléans, ON, K1E 3V8

Ben Franklin Place, 101 Centrepointe Dr., Nepean, ON K2G 5K7

Kanata Client Service Centre, 580 Terry Fox Drive, Kanata, ON K2L 4C2

Metcalfe, 8243 Victoria St., Metcalfe, ON K0A 2P0 (open Tuesdays only)

West Carleton, 5670 Carp Rd., Kinburn, ON K0A 2H0 (open Wednesdays only)

North Gower, 2155 Roger Stevens Dr., North Gower, ON KOA 2T0 (open Thursdays only)


Either partner can submit the  marriage application form in person but the form must include original signatures for both parties and be presented with two pieces of original valid identification for both parties. Copies will not be accepted. If any of your identification is in a language other than English or French, you must present it with an official translation of the document. The first piece of identification must be any of the following:

a government-issued birth certificate, including any change of name certificates; a valid passport*; a record of immigrant landing; a Canadian citizenship card.

The second piece of identification must be in the form of government-issued photo identification, including:

a valid driver’s licence; a valid passport*; a valid Ontario Photo Card; a BYID age-of-majority-card.

* If a valid passport is used as the first piece of identification, the second piece of identification must be a valid driver’s licence, a valid Ontario Photo Card or a BYID age-of-majority-card.

The City of Ottawa does not accept health or national identity cards as a form of photo identification.

Age requirements

Identification requirements and marriage eligibility depend on your age. Please note the following:

If you are 21 years of age or older, proof of identity as outlined above is required.

If you are 18 to 21 years of age, proof of identity in the form of a birth certificate is recommended as your first piece of identification. Any of the second pieces of government-issued photo identification described above must also be presented.

If you are 16 or 17 years of age, proof of identity in the form of a birth certificate is the only acceptable first piece of identification. Any of the second pieces of government issued photo identification described above must also be presented. Parental consent is also required. Please contact Client Service Centre staff by e-mail or call 3-1-1 (TTY: 613-580-2401) for further details.

A person under the age of 16 is not permitted to marry in the Province of Ontario.


The City of Ottawa issues marriage licences to all eligible couples. Same-sex couples have been receiving marriage licences since June 11, 2003, following the June 10, 2003 Ontario Court of Appeal decision making same-sex marriages legal in Ontario.


A marriage licence is valid for use anywhere in Ontario for three months after its issue date. If you plan to marry outside of the province or the country, be sure to verify the requirements for the appropriate jurisdiction.

Marriage after divorce

Divorced in Canada

If you were divorced in Canada, you must provide the original or a court-certified copy of your certificate of divorce, or a final decree or final judgment. Photocopies will not be accepted. A certified copy of your certificate of divorce may be obtained from the court office that granted the divorce. All documents will be returned.

Divorced Outside of Canada

An applicant whose former marriage was dissolved or annulled in a jurisdiction other than Canada must obtain authorization from the Minister of Government Services before a marriage licence may be issued. To obtain this authorization, the applicants or a lawyer representing them, must submit the following to:


When applying for a marriage licence, you are required to certify information under oath. If you do not understand or are not able to read English or French, please bring an interpreter to assist you.


There are no limitations on citizenship or residency when applying for a marriage licence in Ontario.

Health analysis

Blood tests and medical certificates are not necessary for marriage licence application in Ontario.

Licence fee

The City of Ottawa charges a $155.30 (including HST) service fee for a marriage licence, which you can pay for by cash, cheque, Interac, Visa or MasterCard. Marriage licence fees are non-refundable.

Need more information?

3-1-1 (TTY: 613-580-2401). To find out how to register your marriage or obtain a marriage certificate, visit Ontario’s Ministry of Government Services or call 1-800-461-2156.


At our destination wedding chapel you get a private and intimate dream wedding with the timeless memories that you desire. 

Read More


Touring, Marrying and Honeymooning, all in one beautiful destination?

We call it a “WEDDINGMOON!”

We all want great planning for a wedding

Visit logo

Niagara Falls Rainbow at the Horseshoe Falls

Clifton Hill at Night

Niagara Falls is  for Lovers

ALl you favourite games of chance
Dozens of wineries nearby


Visit logo



planning a wedding ceremony

Fun easy cheap fast wedding elopement style in Niagara Falls destination wedding

Now with Drive-thru Service!

Directions from Ottawa

Where We Are:

From Ottawa to Elope Niagara’s Little Log Wedding Chapel, we are about 6 hours  away or about 600 kilometers

You get to us by the Queen Elizabeth Way. We are about 3 kilometers from the highway.

Canada’s smallest log chapel is situated on Private Property. By Appointment Only, Thank You.

This information is provided as a free service. Elope Niagara cannot be responsible for incorrect or outdated information. Please contact us for more information.


Read our blog for ideas about wedding location,

eloping ideas away from the everyday.

Civil ceremonies and Niagara Falls destination weddings.


Your wedding party will love your sense of adventure when you tell them that you are having your wedding in Niagara. Getting married in our Little Log Chapel is a unique wedding idea that will fit in any wedding budget.

Read More


Now that you have decided that a small wedding or elopement in Niagara Falls, Ontario Canada

is exactly what you have been wanting all along, contact us.

Elope Niagara can accommodate wedding parties from 2 – 12, to to read over 100 reviews click here