Port Colborne Licences

Apply for an Ontario Marriage Licence in Port Colborne, Ontario

and get married at Elope Niagara!

 Run Away To Niagara

How do I apply for a Marriage Licence in Port Colborne

Marriage licences may be obtained from the City Clerk’s Office:

– between the hours of 8:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m., Monday to Friday, (winter hours: October – April)

– between the hours of 8:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m., Monday to Friday, (summer hours: May 6 – October 4)

for a fee of $125.00 paid by cash, personal cheque or debit card.  A marriage licence will be issued only to one of the parties to the proposed marriage.

A marriage licence issued by an Issuer of Marriage Licences for the City of Port Colborne is valid anywhere in Ontario for a period of three (3) months from the date of issue.


In Ontario, barring other legal impediments, persons who have attained the age of 18 years of age may marry, including same-sex couples.  No person under 16 years of age may marry.  Any person who is 16 or 17 years of age (other than a widow, widower or divorced person) may marry only with the written consent of both parents or his/her legal guardian.  A special consent form is available for this purpose from the Clerk’s Office.  If consent is required and is not forthcoming or is refused, an application may be made to a judge to dispense with consent.

Under the MARRIAGE (PROHIBITED DEGREES) ACT (CANADA), no person shall marry another person if they are related as grandparent, parent, child, grandchild, brother or sister.  These restrictions apply whether the relationship is by whole or half blood or by order of adoption.  Any prior marriage must be legally dissolved or annulled before a person may enter into a new marriage.

A marriage may be solemnized only under the authority of a marriage licence or under the authority of the publication of banns.


A marriage licence application must be completed and signed by the applicant and joint applicant.  At least one party to the proposed marriage must apply in person and present two original pieces of identification for each applicant.  The required identification documents must include an original birth certificate (with any change of name certificate, if applicable) or current passport or Record of Immigration Landing if refugee or Canadian citizenship card if refugee together with one other piece of government issued photo identification.  Only original, valid identification documents in the English Language will be accepted.

If an applicant or joint applicant for marriage licence has been previously married, the following additional information will be required:

(a)    If the marriage was dissolved or annulled in Canada, the original or court certified copy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce dissolving or annulling the marriage.  Individuals can obtain a certified copy of their Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce from the Court House in the jurisdiction where the divorce was granted.

(b)    If the marriage was dissolved or annulled outside of Canada, the applicants must obtain authorization from the Minister of Government and Consumer Services for the marriage.  To obtain authorization,

send the following documents to the Office of the Registrar General, Marriage Office, P.O. Box 4600, 189 Red River Road, Thunder Bay, ON  P7B 6L8:

  • a completed marriage licence application
  • a Statement of Sole Responsibility for each divorce signed by both parties of this marriage
  • an original or court-certified copy (certified by the proper court officer in the jurisdiction the divorce or annulment was granted) of the divorce decree or annulment.  If the decree is in a language other than

English or French, include a translated copy together with an affidavit sworn by the translator.

  • A legal opinion from an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both applicants, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in the Province of Ontario.  The Office of the Registrar General will fax a

sample legal opinion letter to your lawyer if you call 1-807-343-7568 or toll-free in Ontario at 1-800-461-2156.

(c)        Where the earlier marriage of one of the parties was terminated by the presumed death of a spouse, a court order declaring the presumed death of the spouse must be obtained. There are no requirements respecting residency, pre-marital blood tests or medical certificates.

View and print the marriage licence application form.


A marriage may be solemnized under the authority of the publication of banns where both parties to the proposed marriage worship regularly in Canada.  No one may marry under the authority of the publication of banns if there was a previous marriage (dissolved or annulled).  Further information regarding marriage under authority of publication of banns may be obtained from a member of the clergy.


A religious marriage may be performed by a member of a recognized religious organization who is authorized to perform marriages in Ontario under the MARRIAGE ACT.  The person must be registered with the Office of the Registrar General to perform marriages.  A list of religious officials registered to perform marriages in Ontario is available on the Service Ontario website.  A judge, justice of the peace or municipal clerk may perform a civil marriage under the authority of a marriage licence.  Civil ceremonies by a Justice of the Peace are not currently available in the Niagara Region. The Clerk of the City of Port Colborne also does not currently provide this service.


It is the responsibility of the person who performed the marriage to forward the signed marriage licence to the Office of the Registrar General for registration.


After the marriage, you may receive a Record of Solemnization of Marriage from the person who performed the wedding.  This document includes the couple’s names, the date of the marriage, the names of the witnesses and whether the marriage was performed under the authority of a licence or the publication of banns.  This is not a legal record.

A marriage certificate proves that a marriage has taken place. A marriage certificate may be obtained by:  the bride or groom; a parent of either the bride or the groom; or, by a child of their marriage (natural or adoptive).  You may get a marriage certificate application and related information (including fee for service), on the Service Ontario website. Please note that marriage certificates and information relating to particular marriages cannot be obtained through local marriage offices.

From time to time, requests for marriage certificates are received from persons doing genealogical studies.  The Archives of Ontario has the indexes (where they exist) and registration books from the Office of the Registrar General of Ontario for Marriages from approximately 1801 to 1926.  (Note: There are many gaps in pre-1869 marriage records.)  These records are publicly available on microfilm.  Another year of records is sent annually to the Archives.  For further information on how to access these records please go to http://www.archives.gov.on.ca.  For information/certificates regarding more recent registrations, you must contact the Office of the Registrar General.  You may or may not be entitled to apply for this information depending on your particular circumstances.

This information is provided as a free service. Elope Niagara cannot be responsible for incorrect or outdated information. Please contact us for more information.

Touring, Marrying and Honeymooning, all in one beautiful destination?

We call it a “WEDDINGMOON!”

We all want great planning for a wedding

Visit logo

Niagara Falls Rainbow at the Horseshoe Falls

Clifton Hill at Night

Niagara Falls is  for Lovers

ALl you favourite games of chance

Many restaurants in Niagara Falls

Dozens of wineries nearby


Magical Festival of Lights

Directions from Port Colborne

Where We Are:

From Port Colborne to Elope Niagara’s Little Log Wedding Chapel, we are about 25 minutes away or about 25 kilometers

You get to us by the Queen Elizabeth Way. We are about 3 kilometers from the highway.

Canada’s smallest log chapel is situated on Private Property. By Appointment Only, Thank You.


planning a wedding ceremony

Fun easy cheap fast wedding elopement style in Niagara Falls destination wedding

Now with Drive-thru Service!

At our destination wedding chapel you get a private and intimate dream wedding with the timeless memories that you desire. 

Read More

Read our blog for ideas about wedding location,

eloping ideas away from the everyday.

Civil ceremonies and Niagara Falls destination weddings.


Your wedding party will love your sense of adventure when you tell them that you are having your wedding in Niagara. Getting married in our Little Log Chapel is a unique wedding idea that will fit in any wedding budget.

Read More


Now that you have decided that a small wedding or elopement in Niagara Falls, Ontario Canada

is exactly what you have been wanting all along, contact us.

Elope Niagara can accommodate wedding parties from 2 – 12, to to read over 100 reviews click here