Welland Licences

Apply for an Ontario Marriage Licence in Welland, Ontario

and get married at Elope Niagara!

 Run Away To Niagara

How do I apply for a Marriage Licence in Welland

Before you get married…

You need to check that the person performing your marriage ceremony is an authorized official.  It is important to ensure that your marriage is performed properly and legally.

Find out if the person performing your marriage is an authorized official by checking online at www.ServiceOntario.ca/GettingMarried or by calling ServiceOntario at 1-800-461-2156 or 416-325-8305.


Who may marry?

Any person who is at least 18 years of age may marry.  Any person who is 16 or 17 years of age may marry with the written consent of his/her legal guardian(s).  A consent form is available in the Clerk’s Office for this purpose.  No person under 16 years of age may marry


Who needs a Marriage Licence?

Any couple that is getting married in the Province of Ontario and is not having their banns published by their Church must obtain a Marriage Licence.

If both parties to the marriage Worship regularly at their own Church in Canada, their marriage may be solemnized under the authority of the publication of banns.

No one may marry under the authority of the publication of banns if there was a previous marriage (dissolved or annulled).

You may obtain further information concerning the publication of banns from a Minister or a Member of the Clergy.


How do I obtain a Marriage Licence?

Marriage Licences are issued between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday.

A Marriage Licence Application may be obtained in the Clerk’s Office at the Civic Square during regular office hours (8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.) or at http://www.serviceontario.ca/GettingMarried.

Once the Application is completed and signed by both parties the couple must apply in person for the Marriage Licence in the Clerk’s Division.  Either the bride or groom or both parties may apply for the Licence.  Two pieces of identification being either an original Birth Certificate or valid *passport along with government issued picture identification (e.g. driver’s licence) are required for both parties; also,

If one or both parties have been previously married and the marriage was dissolved or annulled in Canada, the original or a Court-certified copy of the final Certificate of Divorce or Certificate annulling the marriage must be presented to the issuer of the Marriage Licence in the Clerk’s Office.  An original Certificate of Divorce may be obtained and purchased from the Court Office in the City the divorce was granted.  If the marriage was dissolved or annulled outside of Canada, you must obtain authorization by the Ministry of Government Services before a Marriage Licence can be issued (see section “What if one or both parties have been previously married?”).

* Important:  increasingly we are noticing that passports do not always contain full given names (first and middle names); therefore, please be aware that for full given name to be recorded on the marriage licence, either a birth certificate or passport containing your full given name must be presented as identification.  If you have questions regarding whether or not your identification will be acceptable for use in having your marriage licence issued, please do not hesitate to contact us at 905-735-1700 ext. 2155 or 2154.

The Marriage Licence is valid for use anywhere in Ontario.  The Licence expires 3 months after the date of issue if the marriage does not take place.

This information is provided as a free service. Elope Niagara cannot be responsible for incorrect or outdated information. Please contact us for more information.

Fun easy cheap fast wedding elopement style in Niagara Falls destination wedding

Now with Drive-thru Service!

At our destination wedding chapel you get a private and intimate dream wedding with the timeless memories that you desire. 

Read More

Touring, Marrying and Honeymooning, all in one beautiful destination?

We call it a “WEDDINGMOON!”

We all want great planning for a wedding

Visit logo

Niagara Falls Rainbow at the Horseshoe Falls

Clifton Hill at Night

Niagara Falls is  for Lovers

ALl you favourite games of chance

Dozens of wineries nearby

 Directions from Welland

Where We Are:

From Thunder Bay to Elope Niagara’s Little Log Wedding Chapel, we are a 7 hour flight or about 15 hours by car.

You get to us by the Queen Elizabeth Way. We are about 3 kilometers from the highway.

Canada’s smallest log chapel is situated on Private Property. By Appointment Only, Thank You.

Read our blog for ideas about wedding location,

eloping ideas away from the everyday.

Civil ceremonies and Niagara Falls destination weddings.


Your wedding party will love your sense of adventure when you tell them that you are having your wedding in Niagara. Getting married in our Little Log Chapel is a unique wedding idea that will fit in any wedding budget.

Read More


Now that you have decided that a small wedding or elopement in Niagara Falls, Ontario Canada

is exactly what you have been wanting all along, contact us.

Elope Niagara can accommodate wedding parties from 2 – 12, to to read over 100 reviews click here